SCEN Network Meeting
Date: Friday, 7 March, 2014
Location: Lasswade High School, Eskdale Drive, Bonnyrigg EH19 2LA.
We have felt the time is right for a SCEN Network Meeting in the Spring Term, so that those engaged in leading China and Chinese learning in our schools at all levels can get together and exchange practice, views and issues. Last week the Directors of Scotland's four Confucius Institutes met at the University of Glasgow and had a wide-ranging and very constructive discussion; it will be marvellous to share some of the ideas and comments with SCEN. We are very fortunate that Rosemary and Colin Mitchell, Depute Headteachers at Lasswade High School, are both enthusiastic China hands and Members of the SCEN Board. They have offered us their magnificent new school facilities for our SCEN Network Meeting, which will take place on:
- Friday 7 March 2014, beginning with lunch at 12.30 pm, at Lasswade High School, Eskdale Drive, Bonnyrigg EH19 2LA.
The Meeting will take place at Lasswade High School, 11 Eskdale Drive, Bonnyrigg, Midlothian, EH19 2LA. Plenty of parking freely available!
The Teaching, Learning and Assessment of Chinese in Scotland
- Presentation by Jim Scott, Member of SCEN Executive Committee and SCEN Board, former Headteacher of Perth High School (Confucius Hub, Perth and Kinross) and doctoral researcher at the University of Dundee on his research on the governance of modern languages.
- General Discussion on The Teaching and Learning of Chinese
- Peter Billington, Member of the SCEN Board, Depute Headteacher, Queen Anne High School, Dunfermline (Confucius Hub, Fife) on qualifications in Chinese; comments by Stuart Main, QAHS S6 and SCEN Youth Committee
- General Discussion on The Assessment of Chinese
- Liam Clague, SCEN Ambassador and Member of Youth Committee, University of Edinburgh: Learning Chinese: from School to University
- Updates from Members on Developments in Hubs and Schools
- General Discussion on Fund-raising to support China links
This will be an important meeting! As they say, 'policy makers and key influencers' will be present! Do let me know if you wish to make a particular contribution. Very importantly, please book your place (if you have not already done so) by emailing us NOW.